Friday, March 2, 2007

ISA Annual Convention Panel on Japan

I just got back from the International Studies Association 48th Annual Convention in Chicago, where I delivered my paper on US-Japan comprehensive economic partnership agreements, which I coauthored with Sherman Katz. On the panel: Japanese Vice Admiral Makoto Yamazaki (Ret.), Major General Takahiro Ninomiya (Ret.), Masahiro Sakamoto of the Japan Forum for Strategic Studies, and Christopher Griffin of AEI.

I argued that the US-Japan defense of human rights through the management of East Asian economic activity could be a counterpart to the military alliance. The co-panelists all made the case that Japan must revise Article 9 of its Constitution in order to catch up with Japanese domestic politics and Asia's security environment.

No comments: